THE XAVIER O. JOY SCHOLARSHIP
The Xavier O. Joy fund provides for Illinois students wishing to pursue higher education at Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA. The recipient(s) will be a current young leader who seeks to make a difference in their community.
Xavier O. Joy was a graduate of Chicago’s esteemed Whitney Young High School and an accomplished student-athlete who attended Morehouse College in Atlanta, where he played football. Xavier returned to Chicago on a mission to give back to his community by teaching and tutoring disadvantaged youths. Tragically, in 2017, his life was cut short by senseless gun violence. His untimely death was a loss to our Chicago communities, which are in need of determined young men seeking to make a positive difference. A higher education scholarship has been established in honor of his life. Preference will be given to children of REALTORS®.
The mission of Morehouse College is to develop men with disciplined minds who will lead lives of leadership and service. A private, historically black liberal arts college for men, Morehouse realizes this mission by emphasizing the intellectual and character development of its students. In addition, the College assumes special responsibility for teaching the history and culture of black people.
To be eligible for a gift from the Xavier O. Joy Scholarship Fund, applicant must:
- Have been accepted into Morehouse College.
- Write a 500-word essay explaining how they have contributed to leadership in their community and how the scholarship will help them achieve further leadership goals and initiatives.
- Be a permanent resident of Illinois.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty advisor, high school instructor or guidance counselor, current or past CAR Director, or any Illinois REALTOR®.
- The applicant will be invited and encouraged to attend an upcoming Trustee meeting to discuss future career plans.
Approved recipients of the Xavier O. Joy Scholarship will receive up to $1000 in compensation to help cover approved costs attributed with attendance at Morehouse College. Monies will be paid directly to Morehouse College.
Please fill out and submit the following form to apply for the Xavier O. Joy Scholarship. Any questions or concerns regarding your application may be directed to Jakeeva Lee.