Cicero officials have approved several building code changes that will no longer require a special permit from the town.
Officials made the changes to encourage investment in housing, and to promote the health and life safety of residents.
A licensed and bonded contractor can now perform the following work on homes without a building permit:
- Painting the house and garage, both the inside and the outside
- Replacing a broken pane of glass in a window or a door
- Installing rugs or carpeting
- Sanding and finishing floors
- Landscaping, including planting sod, grass, flowers, trees, shrubs, and installing an automatic sprinkler system
- Installing wood floors, linoleum tile or ceramic tile flooring
- Replacing and repairing existing plumbing, such as faucets and sinks
- Replacing doors, including storm doors, screen doors, or overhead garage doors in existing openings
The town has a complete list of the changes on its Facebook page.