2014-2015 MLS Fees and C.A.R. Dues Renewal
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Q: Did the 2014/2015 REALTOR® dues and MLS fees increase?
A: Yes and no. While the National Association of REALTORS® portion will stay the same for this year, the Illinois Association of REALTORS® has increased by $5.50. Additionally, Chicago has increased our local portion by $4.50, MLS fees will remain the same. This is a 1.6% increase over 2013/2014.
2. Q: Will I be able to pay my dues in full?
A: Yes. Additionally, by paying in full you will be able to save $40 over those members opting to stretch their payments out over 6 months.
3. Q: How are the payments structured for this billing?
A: You will be given the opportunity to pick the structure that works best for you! You can opt to pay in full by 5pm, October 1st or you may opt to stretch your total invoice into 4 equal payments stretched over 6 months, with the first invoice being due on October 1st. The invoice posting dates and due dates are outlined here. Leasing agents are not billed in equal installments.
4. Q: How will I pick my payment structure?
A: You will receive an email prompting you to go on-line and pick the payment structure that is right for you. Be on the lookout for these items the second week of August.
5. Q: What if I don’t choose a payment option?
A: If you do not choose a payment option, you will then be opted into the same option that you chose last year. If you are a new member, you will be opted into the 4 payment plan option if you do not make a choice.
6. Q: How will I be invoiced?
A: Electronically via your Member Account on ChicagoREALTOR.com. In an effort to “Go Green” we have moved to this type of billing for ALL invoicing from C.A.R. Should you wish to receive a paper invoice, e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.ChicagoREALTOR.com and log on to My Account to change your Billing Preference.
7. Q: If I decide to pay in full, when will the invoice be posted on “My Account” at ChicagoREALTOR.com?
A: The invoice will be posted to your account the week of August 26th; invoice due by October 1st. Once you have paid your balance in full, you will owe nothing until we bill for the next fiscal year (2015/2016). Should payment in full not be made prior to October 1st with this pay in full option, your membership, including MLS service will be suspended immediately until payment is made. Additionally, you will be assessed a $25 late fee.
8. Q: If I choose the 4 payment option, when will the invoices be posted on “My Account” at ChicagoREALTOR.com?
A: Invoices will be due on the following days:
- Payment #1 the week of August 25th, due on October 1st
- Payment #2 the week of October 6th, due on November 14th
- Payment #3 the week of December 1st, due on January 9th
- Payment #4 the week of January 19th, due on February 27th
Failure to pay any of the above-referenced invoices by the due date outlined will result in immediate suspension of membership, including MLS services, along with a $25 late fee.
9. Q: What dues and fees are included in these invoices?
A: Each invoice is broken down to reflect four equal payments which cover your C.A.R., IAR, NAR Dues and MRED MLS Fees for the entire year (October 1, 2014 – September 30, 2015).
10. Q: Can I make my payments online?
A: Yes, through ChicagoREALTOR.com, “My Account”.
You can also:
- Pay by phone by contacting our Member Care Department at 312.803.4900
- Mail in your payment
- Drop it off at one of our two offices
- Fax it in with your credit card information at 312.803.4905
11. Q: How do I sign up to have the invoice automatically deducted from my credit card?
A: Signing up for our Auto-Pay Program allows you to have monthly payments, automatically set for you. To put your card on file, please click here, fill out the form and e-mail it to email@example.com or via fax at 312.803.4905.
12. Q: If my credit card is on file for the fees to automatically come out, when will the money be deducted from my account?
A: If you have opted to pay in full, the full amount will be deducted on September 22nd
If you have opted for the installment plan, following are the deduction dates
- September 22nd
- November 10th
- January 5th
- February 23rd
Should you wish to remove your credit card from our autopay, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and ID number.
13. Q: How will I be invoiced and charged if I have a credit card on file?
A: Your invoices will still be posted on your account; however, you will be notified via e-mail when we will be deducting these payments from your account.
14. Q: How many times do we try to deduct a fee from auto-pay?
A: We will attempt to deduct payment from your credit card only once. If the card is declined, an e-mail notification will be sent to you notifying you that the card was declined and that you are now responsible to pay the invoice as well as the $35 service fee.
15. Q: Will I be charged a fee if my credit card on file is declined?
A: Yes, contact our Member Care Department by phone at 312.803.4900 or via e-mail at email@example.com to ensure the on-file card information is up-to-date. You will be assessed a $35 fee anytime your credit card declines while on auto-pay. This fee will need to be paid prior to your account being reactivated.
16. Q: If I make a credit card payment by phone and it is declined by phone, will I still be assessed a $35 fee?
A: No. If you attempt to pay by phone or via the Internet and your card is declined, there will not be a service charge. The only time that you will be assessed this charge is if your credit card on-file is declined.
17. Q: Will my managing broker be notified if I miss a payment?
A: Yes. Your managing broker will be notified every time your account is late and/or has been suspended.
18. Q: Do I have to pay dues to NAR and IAR?
A: Yes. To belong to a local association such as CAR, a REALTOR® must also join the Illinois and National Associations of REALTORS as well. Local associations collect the dues for State and National.
19. Q: What are the voluntary contributions for and am I required to pay them?
A: Voluntary contributions are just that - Voluntary. CAR collects voluntary contributions for the following entities:
- RPAC (REALTORS® Political Action Committee)
- CAREF (Chicago Association of REALTORS® Education Foundation)
- REEF (Real Estate Education Foundation)
20. Q: Why should I contribute to RPAC?
A: RPAC assures that your issues and concerns remain at the forefront of public policy makers and governments who can shape how you do business. For more information, visit their website at www.RPACNOW.com
21. Q: Are these voluntary contributions to RPAC tax deductible?
A: No. These contributions are not deductible for federal income tax filings.
22. Q: Why should I contribute to CAREF?
A: The CAR Education Foundation provides scholarships to REALTORS® for designations, post-licensing classes, and higher education. For more information, visit the CAREF website here.
23. Q: Is my voluntary contribution to CAREF tax deductible?
A: The contribution to the Chicago Association of REALTORS® Education Foundation is a tax deductible charitable contribution. Please check with your tax adviser as to deductibility in your personal circumstances.
24. Q: Why should I contribute to REEF?
A: Your contribution will help to expand Real Estate research and provide assistance to qualified students. For more information, visit the REEF website at www.ilreef.org.
25. Q: Is my voluntary contribution to REEF tax deductible?
A: The contribution to the Real Estate Education Foundation is a tax deductible charitable contribution. Please check with your tax adviser as to deductibility in your personal circumstances.
26. Q: Do I have to pay the recommended amount for the voluntary contributions?
A: You can decide what amount you would like to contribute, however we recommend the suggested minimum amounts support the work of CAR on your behalf.
We are recommending that brokers contribute $20 for RPAC, $20 for CAREF and $5 for REEF.
We are recommending the following for managing brokers: $20 for RPAC, $40 for CAREF and $5 for REEF.
27. Q: Will I be invoiced for the voluntary contributions?
A: No. If you pay online, our system will pull up these recommended contributions each time you attempt to pay an invoice online. You can decide at any time if you wish to contribute but you are not actually invoiced for these contributions.
28. Q: Are dues and fees ever refundable?
A: Refunds will be granted only in accordance with the C.A.R. Refund Policy. If you are hesitant about remaining active for the 2014/2015 year, please contact a Member Care Specialist for more information regarding our refund policy prior to making your payment, as it is possible that you may not qualify for a refund.
29. Q: Will I be charged a fee if I pay by check and it is returned for insufficient funds?
A: Yes. You will be assessed a $35 fee anytime a check is returned for insufficient funds. This fee, along with the original amount of the check, will need to be paid. Additionally, if your account becomes suspended for non-payment, an additional $25 late fee will need to be paid in order to have your services reactivated.